Sue Gundy textiles, Seattle WA, Custom Textile Design, Oct 1996 - Present.
Owner and Principal Designer of custom Textile Designs and Digital Textile Printing for site specific fine art, men’s apparel, woman’s apparel and home furnishings. Designer for woven, knitted and printed lines from beginning concepts to finished designs and products.
Our clients include Tommy Bahama, REI, Eddie Bauer, Nordstrom, Cutter & Buck, London Fog, Columbia Sportswear, Ex Officio, Union Bay.
Our accessory line has been sold at Seattle Art Museum, Tacoma Art Museum, Bellevue Art Museum, Bellagio NC, Flying Carp NJ, Boulder Arts & Crafts Coop, Craft Alliance MO, Tomlinson Craft Collection MD, Past Present Future PA, Eleanor’s Apparel & Fine Gifts CT, C’est La Vie WA, RISD Works RI.
Seattle Central Community College, Seattle WA, Faculty, 1999 - 2001.
Teacher of Textile Color, Textile Fiber & Fabric and Textile Computer course in the Apparel Design Department. Responsible for all aspects of class schedule and syllabus.
Nordstrom, Seattle WA, Men’s Product Development, Sept 1994 - Oct 1996
Men’s Furnishing Designer for Nordstrom, John W. Nordstrom and Natural Style labels as well as special projects for Hickey Freeman licenses in Men’s Furnishing Dept.
Responsible for designing and sourcing all aspects of dress shirts, neckwear, sleepwear, hosiery, underwear, and braces/belts.
Jhane Barnes Inc., NYC, Menswear Designer, Jan 1990 - July 1994
Senior Textile Designer/Colorist of woven and printed shirting’s, knitwear, socks, and contract fabrics for Knoll Textiles.
Responsible for projects from conceptual stages to finished product lines.
Purnell School, Pottersville NJ, Private Preparatory School, 1992 & 1993.
Visiting Artist in Residence presented seminars to students.
Boston Trading Ltd. Inc., Lynn MA, Men and Woman's Sportswear, 1989.
Intern to the head designer of men's sweater line.
The Echo Design Group Inc., NYC, Woman’s Accessories, 1988.
Freelance print designer.
Nantucket Looms, Nantucket MA, Handwoven Fabrics, 1987 summer.
Weaver and designer of in house lines.
Rhode Island School of Design- 1985-1989 BFA with Honors
Fashion Institute of Technology- Spring 1993 Business School
ASUW Experimental College- Fall 1995 University of Washington
Seattle South Community College- Fall 1999 Elements of Teaching course
Shows and Honors
- Seattle Municipal Tower Gallery, Seattle, WA, 2007. City Light / City Art; Union Street Electric Gallery Artists group show.
- City Space Gallery, Seattle, WA, 2004. Transition & Transformation; Seattle’s Emerging Public Artists group show.
- Electric Gallery: Seattle City Light Union Street Substation, Seattle, WA, and Oct 2004 -Sept. 2006. Awarded a public art commission for a 14’h x 100’w mural.
- Bellevue Art Museum, Bellevue, WA, May 2003. Lectured and lead a workshop on digital textile printing in conjunction with Bam’s Master Class Series.
- American Craft Council Show, Baltimore MD, Feb 2003. Selected to show in prestigious juried craft show.
- Buyers Market of American Craft, Philadelphia, PA, Feb 2003. Selected to show in prestigious juried craft show.
- Emerging Public Artist: Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs, Seattle, November 2002. One of 26 artists selected for the Emerging Public Artist Roster.
- Denise Bibro Fine Art Gallery: Manifestations II: Form & Function, NYC, December 2002.
Selected for exhibition of functional and wearable art.
- Pendulum Gallery - Convergence 2002 Vancouver, July-Aug 2002, Selected for the Tsunami
Yardage Exhibit at the bi-annual Convergence Conference.
- Katie Gingrass Gallery, Dec-Jan. 2001-‘02, Milwaukee, WI. Work shown in Art to Wear Exhibit.
- Sixth International Textile Competition ’99, Kyoto, Japan, Selected for exhibition at the Museum of Kyoto.
- RISD on the Road 1998-1999, Rhode Island School of Design, Selected for traveling show celebrating outstanding achievements in textiles.
- King County Public Art Program Seattle, 1998-2000, Selected for the Artist-made Building Parts Project color catalogue and slide presentation.
Conat Gallery 1998, Lawrence Academy, Selected for a five person Alumni show featuring successful designers.
- Center on Contemporary Art 1995, Seattle, WA. Selected for the Holiday Museum Gallery.
- Conat Gallery 1994, Lawrence Academy, Selected for a five person Alumni show celebrating the 200 year Bicentennial.
- Textron Fellowship 1989, Rhode Island School of Design. Awarded to the forth year student who shows the highest excellence in the Textile Design Dept.
- American Handweavers Competition 1989, Carnegie Fabrics and The American Craft Council.
Awarded third place and three Honorable Mentions.
- International Textile Competition 1989, Kyoto, Japan. Selected for exhibition at the Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art
- Techno Textiles 2 Published 2006 by Sarah E. Braddock Clark & Marie O’Mahony, Featured in the "Fashion" chapter.
- Seattle Post-Intelligencer Jan. 20th 2006, Featured in "Your Neighbors: Seattle Perspectives" Urban Environmental Art article.
- Surface Design Journal Fal1 2006, Featured in the "Informed Source" section of the Photographic Surfaces issue.
- Fiberarts Jan/Feb 2005, Featured in "Sampling: Clothing that Speaks for itself" article.
- Seattle Magazine Jan/Feb 2003, Featured in "The Goods" top shopping finds article.
- Seattle Weekly Dec. 2002, Featured in "Visual Arts: Shopping" article.
- Shuttle Spindle & Dyepot Fal1 2002, Included in “Tsunami: Yardage” article.
- Surface Design Journal Winter 1999, Featured in the "On The Edge" section for achievements using new technology in Textile design.
- International Textile Competition ‘99 Catalog of the exhibition at the Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art.
- American Craft Feb/Mar 1990, Included in "Designing for the Contract Market" article.
- International Textile Competition ‘89 Catalog of the exhibition at the Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art.